For my independent field trip I
went to Vitamin Cottage, real exciting I know I know. It honestly had not been what I had originally had in mind, but
it worked out perfect. I have recently
learned how super important vitamins are for you, especially when your body is
incapable of making them. For example,
I have night blindness and had never made the connection that it might actually
have something to do with a vitamin deficiency in my diet. After learning, by way of my fiancé and his
nutrition class, that night blindness in fact occurs because of a deficiency in
vitamin A. Interesting right??
While we were at Vitamin Cottage
looking for vitamin A, we ran into James Lewis who just so happens to be a
certified Clinical Herbalist. I had no
intention of interviewing at the time, however our quick question turned into
an hour-long discussion of vitamins, nutrition and their benefits. I feel especially lucky having run into
James because just two days before I had changed my mind, for about the tenth
time, on what exactly I wanted to do my final paper on. The information I gathered while talking to
James directly relates to my paper, because everything he talked about is what
I will attempt to cover in my paper.
It was a cold spring afternoon, the
kind of weather where it is perfect to be out shopping spending all your time
inside in a nice warm slightly funny smelling place. We have just recently decided to start eating healthier and start
shopping at more natural grocery stores.
The layout of the store was unfamiliar and odd to me. As luck would have it we’d run into James
who looked like he is wearing his best causal Friday clothes and a semi-balding
red hair comb over. This chance meeting was not originally going to be part of
my research, but he did give me lots of support for the ideas I had already
had. He gave me a better foundation on
where to start my paper. The most
interesting part of this experience was all the information I thought was new
and brilliant, like taking vitamin A for night blindness, in fact isn’t a new
concept. This was something that James
already knew, he was able to expand my horizons and inform me that we are in
control of our own health, and that it is up to us to decide how we want to
live.
EXCELLENT job turning a chance encounter into a research opportunity! :-D :-D :-D
ReplyDelete