New Questions? Or New
Topic?
I
thoroughly enjoyed the subject of my last paper, substance abuse and mental
illness and how they are often dually diagnosed in an individual. However, I didn’t enjoy doing the works
cited page nearly as much. :) With that being said I really felt I covered all
the questions I thought of when I was first brainstorming. I wanted my paper to be as conclusive as
possible so every question I could conjure up I did the research and eventually
found the answer. As of now I have a
sound understanding of how and why these diseases are connected.
To be perfectly honest, I have a
whole new set of questions floating around in my brain due to the work of the
previous paper. I wonder the effects
that both mental illness and substance abuse have on relationships. How exactly does being dually diagnosed
affect the dynamics of family relationships?
Are family members more understanding of
”chaos” that can be created by the individual who is dually diagnosed? What is the attitude of the family and friends of the individual? Are they accepting of the diagnosis? Or are the family and friends skeptical of the diagnosis, thinking of it as more as an excuse for bad behavior than an actual diagnoses.
Also, I learned that people who are diagnosed with
bipolar and schizophrenia are more than double likely to develop a substance
abuse addiction because of their mental illness. And though I’m familiar with
these mental illnesses I would however benefit from learning more about
them. What does it mean exactly to be
bipolar or schizophrenic? When is the
onset? Are there genetic factors that
can help facilitate these diseases? How often do they occur together? What is the best treatment for these diseases? What are the characteristics of each of
these diseases?
”chaos” that can be created by the individual who is dually diagnosed? What is the attitude of the family and friends of the individual? Are they accepting of the diagnosis? Or are the family and friends skeptical of the diagnosis, thinking of it as more as an excuse for bad behavior than an actual diagnoses.
Wow, fascinating new questions!!
ReplyDelete